Kiwanis is a global organization of volunteers dedicated to changing the world one child and one community at a time.
Working together, members achieve what one person cannot accomplish alone. When you help improve a community or give a child a chance to learn, experience, dream, and succeed, great things happen!
The name “Kiwanis” means “we trade” or “we share our talents.” It was coined from an American Indian expression, Nunc Kee-wanis.
Founding of Kiwanis
Kiwanis was founded in Detroit, Michigan, on January 21, 1915. In the early years, Kiwanis clubs focused on business networking, but even then, members were serving the needs of the poor. By 1919, the organization had changed its focus from business to service. Kiwanis became an international organization in 1916 with the organization of the Kiwanis Club of Hamilton, Ontario. Kiwanis limited its membership to the United States and Canada until 1962 when worldwide expansion was approved.
Toms River Kiwanis Daybreak
The Toms River Kiwanis Daybreak club was chartered by Kiwanis International in February 1990 with 25 charter members. The club was chartered with the assistance of the Kiwanis Club of Toms River, the oldest service club in Toms River which itself was chartered in 1924.
Our club has sponsored and participated in many projects to support children and our community. Some of the more recent are school clothing, holiday parties and gifts for children in need, house clean up and rebuilding projects, and donations to the Toms River Township for the construction of picnic table shelters for three local parks. In addition, Toms River Kiwanis Daybreak sponsors youth programs through Central Regional High School Key Club, Monsignor Donovan High School Key Club and Ocean County College Circle K, as they seek to extend Kiwanis principles among an upcoming generation.
Through our fund raising efforts the Toms River Kiwanis Daybreak club has supported and partnered with many worthy local organizations such as:
- American Cancer Society
- American Heart Association
- Arthritis Foundation
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of OC
- Central Regional Key Club
- Children’s Specialized Hospital
- CMC Foundation
- CMC Kids and Family Services
- First Night Toms River
- Food Bank of Monmouth & Ocean
- Girl Scouts of the Jersey Shore
- Hands for All
- Harbor House
- Holiday Food Baskets through schools
- Jane Addams Day Care Center
- Jersey Shore Boy Scouts
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
- Kiwanis International Foundation
- Literacy Volunteers
- Monsignor Donovan Key Club
- National Alliance for Autism Research
- National Alliance for the Mentally Ill
- National Downs Syndrome Society
- New Jersey District Kiwanis Foundation
- Northern Ocean Habitat for Humanity
- Ocean County Library Foundation
- Ocean County Library Film Festival
- Ocean County YMCA
- Ocean Health Initiatives
- Ocean Mental Health
- Ocean of Love
- Pine Beach/Beachwood Girl’s Softball
- Project Lifesaver
- Providence House
- Red Cross
- Salvation Army
- Simon’s Soup Kitchen
- Team Randy
- Toms River Downtown Revitalization
- Toms River HS South Orchestra